WHAT I’M READING
• The Book of Joy – Dalai Lama & Desmond Tutu
• Educated: A Memoir – Tara Westover
• Everything is F*cked – Mark Manson
• White Fragility – Robin Diangelo
• The Library Book – Susan Orlean
• Beyond Anger – Thomas J. Herbin, Ph.D
• Alexander Hamilton – Ron Chernow
• Just Mercy • Bryan Stevenson
• Talking to Strangers • Malcolm Gladwell
• The Great Believers • Rebecca Makkai
• Armada – Ernest Cline
• Gulp – Mary Roach
• Sapiens – Yuval Noah Harari
• The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck – Mark Manson
• The Outsider – Stephen King
• Media Politics: A Citizen’s Guide – Shanto Iyengar
• Atomic Habits – James Clear
• The Tattooist of Auschwitz – Heather Morris
• Believe Me – JP Delaney
• Thinking Fast and Slow – Daniel Kahneman
• Buddhism for Beginners – Jack Kornfield
A few months ago, The New Miami posted a story about an anonymous person (or persons) that created a fantasy Metrorail map. I was very taken by the map itself -- which essentially converts Miami-Dade and Broward highways, expressways and main arterial roads into multicolored rail lines.
I spent last weekend in Daytona Beach, part of a family non-reunion reunion. Daytona has been an annual destination for the last six years, mostly because that's where my grandmother lived.
A look at some of the recent news in the Miami area including: the outrageous heat, the upcoming Democratic debates and the ongoing dismantling and remaking of Wywnood.
On the way back from Tampa last weekend, my Zen from the meditation retreat I attended was tested by a series of bells and warnings from my Mini Cooper. Each time I turned on the car, I got warnings that my backup light wasn't working and neither were my rear turn signals.
Since the end of classes at FIU last week, I've been taking long walks around Miami. I love audiobooks, but I find it hard to pay attention if I'm doing something else besides driving or walking.
PUBLISHED WORK (2018 – Present)
Broward/Palm Beach New Times
• Coral Springs Comics Shop Calls It Quits Even as D&D Thrives
Miami New Times
• Former FIU Journalism Professor Leaves Lasting Legacy of Empathy
• Dozens of People in Miami-Dade Have No Legal Name or Identity
• Miami Crew Braves Wind, Chill, and Rain to Win La TraverSeine Dragon Boat Race in Paris
• Snowbirds Vote for Klobuchar at Satellite Iowa Caucuses in Southwest Florida
San Diego Union-Tribune
• Commentary: A shooting and a tax fraud scheme has me thinking about forgiveness
The Washington Post
• With Jacksonville canceled, can Trump win Florida?